Sunday, April 02, 2023

RIP Ryuichi Sakamoto

 Here's my Pitchfork tribute to world citizen Ryuichi Sakamoto, who died a few days ago.














YMO lay claim to "techno" in 1983


And here's a playlist I pulled together, a highlights and landmarks guided tour through his prolific genius, from Yellow Magic Orchestra, through solo albums like the still-astonishing B-2 Unit and Esperanto, to collaborations like the gorgeous strangeness of "Bamboo Houses / Bamboo Music" (with David Sylvian) and his wonderful string of albums with Alva Noto

Here's a really interesting piece by Dan Barrow on Sakamoto's work and the background to it in terms of Japanese politics + culture, at Jacobin

A piece by David Hudson at the Criterion Daily about Sakamoto: "It All Seems Limitless" 

Geeta Dayal has made available for free inspection a piece she wrote about Yellow Magic Orchestra for Groove magazine in 2006, including an interview with Sakamoto. And just a few months ago she wrote this piece about Sakamoto's 12 for 4Columns

Reminding me that a few years ago I wrote for 4Columns about this compilation of Japanese "interior music" and 4th World sounds, Kankyō Ongaku: Japanese Ambient, Environmental & New Age Music 1980–1990, in which Sakamoto (and Hosono) are both mentioned. 

Toop x 2

- a tribute penned for The Wire. 

-  Sakamoto and "outernationalism", from Ocean of Sound





Check out RS's film Adelic Penguins from 1985

https://youtu.be/A-nJPWJE0cs











































And this I dreamt, and this I dream
And some time this I will dream again
And all will be repeated, all be re-embodied
You will dream everything I have seen in dream

To one side from ourselves, to one side from the world
Wave follows wave to break on the shore
On each wave is a star, a person, a bird
Dreams, reality, death - on wave after wave

No need for a date; I was, I am, and I will be
Life is a wonder of wonders, and to wonder
I dedicate myself, on my knees, like an orphan
Alone - among mirrors - fenced in by reflections
Cities and seas, iridescent, intensified
A mother in tears takes a child on her lap